Truly a lot of things happen hear in Helaman 3. I’m going to give a quick run down and then focus on what has spoken to my heart.
- Nephites were doing well, but some had build up pride
- Pride grew and got worse, many people left for the land of Desolation
- People in Desolation became good at building with concrete and grew as a population. They learned to be industrious and to ship needed items from the land of Nephi up to Desolation to help meet their needs.
- The Nephites even up in the land of Desolation kept many records of their own lives and the lives of their people.
- Helaman lead the Nephites in righteousness
- Gadianton robbers were well established throughout the land, unknowingly to government leaders
- Thousands baptized into the church
- Pride fills many hearts in the church and some are persecuted by those that are prideful
- Helaman dies
- Helaman’s eldest son Nephi takes the judgement seat and leads in righteousness.
Now, to backtrack just a teeny tiny bit, just prior to Helaman passing away…. as I read verses 27-28, my heart did a little flip and I was filled with the Spirit. Today, these verses are speaking to me. They read: “Thus we may see that the Lord is merciful unto all who will, in the sincerity of their hearts, call upon his holy name. Yea, thus we see that the gate of heaven is open unto all, even to those who will believe on the name of Jesus Christ, who is the Son of God.” This continued for me again in verse 35 that reads: “Nevertheless they did fast and pray oft, and did wax stronger and stronger in their humility, and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ, unto the filling their souls with joy and consolation, yea, even to the purifying and the sanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their yielding their hearts unto God.”
I don’t know that I have a whole lot more to say… wow. When you are being oppressed, do you turn yourself more toward Christ in order to have your soul filled with joy and consolation? During times of affliction do you grow stronger in your faith and humility? I can hear the apostles speaking now….. so it’s definitely my turn to stop typing. I do hope that this gives you something to ponder. Put your self in those shoes and see as these Nephites did. Grow as they grew.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.